Pirkei Avot Playlist Assignment

Reading and analyzing the verses of chapters 1-2 of Pirkei Avot has been the routine of our Jewish Studies class for while now. A few weeks ago, our teacher handed us an assignment where WE are placed with the role of analyzing and understanding the text ourselves (as we are used to doing it as a class). Each student had to pick 5 verses from chapter two explaining the meaning, and how it connects to a song of our choice (hence the name Pirei Avot PLAYLIST Assignment). If you are interested and would like to read my interpretations and connections, a slideshow is posted down below:

Currency Conversion Calculator

Recently, we have been learning about financial literacy in math class. Being financially literate is knowing how to properly manage money. Towards the end of the unit, we started focussing on currency conversions, and the most common currencies used across the globe. As a final project, to end our important unit, we created a currency conversion calculator as a class. This post will discuss mainly, the challenges I had along the way, the process (and whether I enjoyed it or not),   and the importance of learning how to code in this day and age.

The process of coding our app seems simple because all we had to do was follow clear instructions, but mistakes are what makes us human, and we had to get around them. A mistake in coding could be as small as a spelling mistake, but looking for it, is like finding a needle in a haystack, and one mistake could cause you to lose all your hard work!!! This would be really annoying if Mrs. Cleveland wouldn’t have given us the link to hers, allowing us to make a copy of all her work, and then continuing from there. Coding, is not something for everyone (just like anything), some people don’t like it very much, and others do; that’s just the way things work. I, for one, enjoyed the process. Being a perfectionist works well with coding ( no mistakes are allowed). I think I also liked the fact that there’s no real creative side to the actual coding piece. I’m hoping more people of my generation, will like coding too because it’s an inevitable factor of our future. We are leading towards computers, and will need people to work in the industry!

Here are some pics of my code:

Jo-Jo-Jo Journal

La semaine passée nous avons commencé notre projet de journal. Si vous ne savez pas, journal est un projet tres connu ici a OJCS! Ce projet est un combinaison d’histoire, Francais, et geographie. Mon expérience avec journal jusqu’à date a été un defi amusant! Ma première entrée était difficile, alors quelque chose que j’ai appris est, chaque entrée deviens plus en plus facile. Je me suis trouvé en voyage à Autriche dans ces temps quands nous ne sommes pas supposé de voyager! Après mon voyage à Autriche, je va explorer en Uruguay, et le long de la rivière Yangtze!

Bonne Voyage!

Ecosystem In A Mason Jar

At the beginning of the year, we started learning about biospheres and ecosystems! After this process of reading through textbook pages, and answering questions on this new unit, Mr. Ray (our science teacher) assigned our class a project. It was to create an ecosystem in a mason jar. We also had to write a recipe on the process of making our biospheres, and film a video explaining it. If you don’t know what an ecosystem is by now, it is a network of interactions connecting nonliving (abiotic) and living (biotic) components of an environment.

….Anyway here is the recipe and the video:

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

Jewish Values Project

The first big project assigned to us in Jewish Studies this year was The Jewish Values Project! The point of this was to learn and evaluate different Jewish values, and texts, and discover the meaning behind them. The goal was to convince others around you that your five values are the most important. Below this description, you can view my slide. Each value includes Jewish texts that mention the value, a reason why this value is important, and the ways in which we can apply this value to our modern-day lives. By completing this assignment, I learned that our religion values a lot of different things, some of which I didn’t expect.  One thing that I can improve upon for next time is my presentation skills. Specifically speaking of the presentation rather than reading off it.

…Anyway, if you would like to see the presentation here it is:

End of the year reflection

This past year has gone by in a flash. There have been highs, lows, and quarantine. I can’t believe that I am going to go into grade 7!  I have made lots of wonderful memories that I will never forget. Like, going white water rafting, planning the Purim carnival, walking to Babbi’s for lunch with my friends, and of course, all of the memories I have made with my family during this time of COVID-19. One thing that I think I did well this year, was putting a lot of effort into everything I did. Although, everything that is good always has something bad about it and “ vise versa”. I think that I still need to improve on my time efficiency and not put as much effort into things that don’t need it. Based on what I have learned this year, I have made three goals for next year:

1. Before starting a project/assignment, think:
  •  How much time do I have to complete this
  • On a scale from 1-10, how much effort do I think this project/assignment needs
  1.      Start thinking for a public speaking topic earlier
  2. Always stay true/believe in yourself

Enough about my thoughts on the past and my hopes and goals for the far future,  let’s talk about the near future A.K.A this summer! I think this summer is going to be different from all the rest. You can’t go to many camps, and it’s harder to hang out with friends. Because of these factors, I’ve made myself some goals/things to accomplish to keep me busy.

1. Bake a layered cake
  2. Make a trifle
  3. Reorganize my room
  4. Get my splits
  5. Research 1-5 question every day (I will keep the answers in a note-book) 
  6. Practice some ballet every day
  7. Go on at least 1 family picnic 
  8. Fill a whole sketchbook using different art techniques
  9. Think about what I want to do when I’m older
  10. Start a youtube account 

What a long list! I hope I can accomplish all of these! 

Hey you there in front of the screen, reading this right now. I’m probably not the only one who finds it good to reflect. If you would like to reflect on the school year that you had too here are some questions to answer (make a comment down below) :

• On a scale from 1-10 (1 being the worst), how was your year?
  • What did you do well this year?
  • What do you still need to work on?
  • What are your goals for next year?
  • How did you find quarantine? Was it hard? Easy? Stressful?
  • What are you planning to do this summer/what were you planning to do this summer?

1 2 3